Saturday, February 03, 2007

Heaven's Newest Inhabitant

This is how I see her now. Holding James. It's how I cope, how I handle this deep sadness that seems to be taking over at times.


This is my great-grandma. Her name is Loleta Amanda Zumwalt. Kyleigh is named after her..Kyleigh Amanda. She is the amazing matriarch of our family, she was a mom, grandma, great-grandma, great-great grandma, aunt, sister and dear friend, but to me, she is Mammalee. My precious grandma. She was an amazing soul.


I had not allowed myself to even deal with her death until yesterday and at the funeral it hit, and it hit hard. And then I went to her home, and she wasn't there.


The day was too much to take in, but at the same time, so beautiful. So many people were there to honor her. She had such a servant heart and was willing to help out in any way she could. I believe she served her church by playing the piano every week for about 48 years. Can you believe that...48 years (or maybe it's 43). So many times I find myself not wanting to help once. Maybe I'm tired, maybe I've had a hard week..who knows what the reasoning is, but I'll think of some logical excuse, but she served faithfully for 48 years. She just quit about a year or so ago.


I am thankful for the family that I have, the amazing support we were all able to give each other and the stories that were told.


Mammalee, thank you for the letters, the endless hours at the piano, the stories, the hugs, knowing that when I walked into the room I was deeply wanted and deeply loved, the life lessons and the many, many memories. You will be missed, more than you could ever imagine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,

What a beautiful tribute to your grandma. You've got me in tears now.

May God comfort you in your sorrow.

Reese